Nope, this is not a dream. We actually have a recipe of the most indulgent brownie sundae that is GOOD for you. Well, good for your skin for sure (you can thank me later). We’ve used ingredients rich in antioxidants and vitamins such as avocado, dark chocolate, cacao, almonds, walnuts and blueberries. These beauties are full of goodness that make for glowy and healthy skin all whilst tasting heavenly in this sundae *drools*.
In case you don’t believe us, here’s the evidence that our star ingredients DO actually give your skin some love:
Cacao is high in antioxidants which block harmful free radicals in the body. It also contains vitamin C, omega 6 fatty acids and magnesium which help in protecting the skin through cellular healing.
Almonds contain a good amount of vitamin E which is an antioxidant that helps in preventing cell damage and the damage caused sun rays. (so more brownies, less sun burn??)
Dark chocolate contains flavonoids which absorb UV light, help protect and increase blood flow to the skin, and improve the skin’s hydration and complexion. (anyone else jumping up and down at the thought of chocolate technically being good for us?)
Walnuts are rich in healthy fats which are great for reducing skin inflammation, they also attract moisture from the air so can help with pesky dry skin.
Blueberries are packed with vitamin C which increase collagen production leaving you looking fresh and youthful for longer!
Avocados – ah the holy avocado. They’re actually high in oleic acid (a moisturising monounsaturated fatty acid) which helps to keep your skin smooth and hydrated. So basically the perfect excuse for more avo on toast in the morning 😉
So, first off we make the brownies:
200g of dark chocolate
200g of butter or coconut oil
2 tsp of vanilla extract
200g of coconut sugar
250g of ground almonds
a pinch of salt
Blueberries (1 pack)
- Preheat your oven to 180C fan.
- Cut the butter into cubes and break up the chocolate. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the surface as the water (as this may split the mixture).
- Once melted take the mixture off the heat and leave to cool slightly. Once cool, beat in the eggs, add the salt then the ground almonds and stir till a smooth mixture is formed.
- Chop your walnuts and add as many blueberries as you like to the mixture.
- Grease a small baking tray with butter/coconut oil and pour the brownie mix in. Sprinkle your cacao nibs on top and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Whilst your brownie is baking, you can move onto making the delicious avo-choc mousse:
1 ripe banana
3tbsp cacao powder
1 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp maple syrup/raw honey
- Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend well until smooth.
- Then put in the freezer to chill before serving.
Now you’ve got the brownies and the mousse all you’ve gotta do is put the sundae together! So this is pretty straightforward, simply cut up the brownies into relatively small rectangles. Then start to layer the sundae with the mousse, brownies, mousse etc. in a tall glass.
PS: If you wanna be extra indulgent go ahead and add some ice cream into those layers (Booja Booja is my personal fave).
And that’s it! You’ve now you’ve got a super chocolatey brownie sundae to accompany your Sunday night-in and although it may not be for every day, every once in awhile is absolutely allowed. And if it’s going to give you a summer glow that’s a good enough excuse, right?!